Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Don't get Left Behind!

Hi folks,
I got some great inspiration from Jaysons last few posts (this isn't nepotism is it?) and felt like sharing one little extra experience that I have gained over the past few weeks in relation to what Jayson said about men cuts...

Since my injury I haven't been able to lift my right hand above shoulder height. This makes pretty much every cut impossible in a kihon sense but what I have been able to do is still practice the footwork and movements using only my left hand without a shinai. The amazing thing about this is that it really brings home how important this side of the body is to doing a good solid cut. As an exercise I totally recommend it. It has made me so much more aware of the power needed from the back leg, keeping the body square as you follow through and pushing forward with the left hand. In concentrating on the 'whole' cut I think we can neglect what each side of the body is doing but by simply dropping the right hand I have discovered so much to work on with my left side that I'm confident will improve my cuts all round.

Give it a go and let me know what you think.

Happy kendo playing,

Rick

3 comments:

Bishojo美少女 said...

Lift your shinai with left hand and control the direction with right hand....... pretty much each training session @Sydney Shinbukan (Hornsby) dojo, Strenger Sensei will remain us so. Sensei could tell by my shoulder movement when I lifted shinai with right hand. There is another waza to use your left hand + Fumikomi to practise Men-Uchi, come to Hornsby or pop to Willougby, I shall get Sensei to show ya.

Bishojo美少女 said...

Sorry, I mean Sensei reminded us (not remain)...... the waza: strike Men with Fumikomi (Kihon or Seme 攻め).

No charging, stand still, when ready, lift your arms, move your body + foot work + BANG.....


From this waza, we learn to

1) be patient 我慢 【がまん】

2) keep our discipline

3) posture (kamae 構).

Rick said...

Thanks for the comment.

When I play Strenger Sensei on Monday nights he would always be helping me cut straight and long - I would have a tendency to keep my arms bent and not completely stretch out in front of me. This limits my reach and makes the cut easier to block so I am also training myself to cut 'long' rather than 'up and down'.